Saturday, March 22, 2008

Partners

One of the fantastic things about going to, and working in, the Philippines is the way you find that partnerships spring up. One person talks to another, finds out that they are interested in the same issues, and then a conversation of real passion and mutual excitement begins. And out of those conversations come nation changing ideas, sometimes.... Admittedly, often, one family at a time, or one community at a time, but nation-changing, nonetheless.

As a team, we want to take out one extra suitcase, full of books and equipment, which we can give to the various projects where we will be working. For example, a whole load of books for Joyland.... Last time I travelled out in January, I took one suitcase, but mainly filled with books for the children's home, as I have so many clothes over there already. My suitcase wieghed 29 kgs, which was fine with Qatar Airlines, as I am a frequent flyer, but I had to pay a small extra baggage allowance with Philippines Airlines. They were very kind, gave me a concession, because I explained that the vast majority of the case contained items I was giving away to a charity. PAL were indeed my pal.... When I travelled with a team from my church to Romania last September, with British Airways, they also allowed us to take an extra suitcase full of gifts for an orphanage, free of charge. Good for BA too....

This time, I have approached Malaysia Airlines, with whom the team are travelling, regarding taking an extra suitcase. No way, was their answer.... And in fact, they wanted to charge £36 for every extra kg over weight... No help from MA there!!!!

I can carry up to 35 kgs with Qatar Airlines, due to my frequent flyer status. So, despite the risk to the length of my arms, I am quite willing to do it... Ian is driving me to the airport too, which will help. That gets me as far as Manila. But then, I am flying on to Negros, with Cebu Pacific. I fly with them very regularly. They are usually my "airline of choice" for internal flights in the Philippines. They are friendly, reasonably priced, usually on time, have a good safety record, and as an extra bonus, they play games during the flight!!!

So, last Monday, I sent their Customer Services an e-mail, asking whether they could let me carry the extra suitcase, and take up to 35 kgs in total... So that they can help us help some of the poorest of the poor in their country. No reply... I have sent two subsequent e-mails, but still no reply... I have now asked that the matter be passed on to Mr Lance Gokongwei, their Chief Executive Officer.... I have even suggested that they might like to feature a story about our trip in Smile Magazine, their in-flight magazine.... I will be happy to post the results of my enquiry here.

So come on, Cebu Pacific. Help us help the people of the Philippines....

Jo

No comments: