Saturday, March 15, 2008

Health Warning

This is not to make you worry, but I'm adding this as I'm researching about Tuberculosis.

On Tuesday I took about 20 children from Joyland and Dacutan to the health clinic, as we are trying to set up medical records for them so that we can monitor their health. Today we have had the results back for the TB tests and many are positive. This is not actually surprising as many of the kids at Joyland have lost parents to this disease - but what is surprising us is the fact that TB is now endemic here - and many of the people we work with in the villages are carrying it. I've just discovered that a teacher friend of mine has tested positive as well, which has really saddened me.

Please, please, please ensure that you have had your BCG vaccinations (and if you are not sure, get a HEAF test to find out). You will be exposed to tuberculosis when you are here. It's normally not a problem for healthy adults, and is fairly easily treatable with antibiotics - if medicine is available, which it is not for so many people in the Philippines. The BCG will give you an immunity so that you don't need to worry about picking up such an infectious disease - that way you'll be able to simply enjoy these children.

Thank you!!

1 comment:

Ami said...

Ahh, the BCG.
I remember the day well.

Most people over the age of about 16 have had the BCG in the UK, as it is a common vaccinations for 12-year-olds. However, the government have stopped doing it, which is a real shame.

I'm just glad its not another one to add to my list, as I had it all that time ago. Last two on Wednesday, and then not long to go! :D

xxxx